Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Allahu Akbar

In Arabic, there is a common saying: Allahu Akbar! It has gotten a bad rap lately as the battle cry of Muslim terrorists, but it's really an expression of faith, not of war--God is most great, or God is greater.
This week I celebrate the anniversary of a very pivotal change in my life, a series of events that were painful, but have also given me great understanding, peace, and even joy.
In all areas of life, the Lord tests us and tries us. He gives us experiences and people who will change us. He knows the storms that rage about us, and, as He did two millennia ago, He still has the power to command the waves, "Peace, be still."
I am reminded of Enos's experience with gaining forgiveness and peace. After praying all day and night, a voice came to him, saying, "Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed. And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away."
Think of what Enos must have felt! What great joy and peace must have filled his soul!
His words have come to me recently, and touched me. After feeling this great peace, Enos says, "Lord, how is it done?"
I have felt like Enos. I have tasted the beautiful peace and wholeness that comes from Christ's Atonement. When I felt that same "peace of God, which passeth all understanding," I have been led to say with Enos, "Lord, how is it done? How is it possible that I could feel this wonderful, this complete, this joyous? How can You take pain away so completely and replace it with such exquisite joy?"
And the answer, as was the Lord's answer to Enos, is simply, "Because of thy faith in Christ... wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole."

The power of the Atonement is real. It is the power to overcome all things. It is the power to be free, to be at peace, to rejoice.

Life can be hard, and our trials, at times, seem too great to bear. But I know that no matter how great our trials, Allahu Akbar!--God is greater.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Amy. Very insightful comments about the Savior's power to heal. LBG

    ReplyDelete