Sunday, December 30, 2007

Better Than Light

I've been thinking, lately, with Happy New Year approaching, about a favorite poem by Minnie Louise Haskins:

"The Gate of the Year"

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year
'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.'

And he replied, 'Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way!'

So I went forth and finding the Hand of God
Trod gladly into the night
He led me towards the hills
And the breaking of day in the lone east.

So heart be still!
What need our human life to know
If God hath comprehension?

In all the dizzy strife of things
Both high and low,
God hideth his intention.

A year ago, I never would have dreamed that the events of this year would have unfolded the way they did. But, as it turns out, God has a better way of doing things than I do. I'm in a far better place today than I was a year ago (of course, this time last year I was on an excruciating red-eye flight across four time zones. But you get my meaning). If He had announced His intention from the beginning, I would have been far too skeptical to go along with it. He knows I'm stubborn, so He gives me just what I need to know for the things I need to do as they come along. For being God, He's awfully smart.

Put your hand in the hand of God. Haskins was right--it is better than light, and far safer than a known way.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I agree. It is strange isn't it that our lives have involved such a depth of pain. I marvel at poeple like Corrie Ten Boom. Perhaps there is a part of our lives that has allowed us to be lost in His embrace because we too are compelled by good poeple (like Cami Leavitt) to follow Betsie's lead and thank God for the fleas. Oh yes, and wherever did you find the lice shampoo? I cannot seem to wash that man out my hair.

    ReplyDelete