Monday, December 3, 2007

The Song of The Heart

I love music. It fills up my soul, makes me want to sing and dance and shout and twirl and praise God for something so beautiful. When I went to the last Men's and Women's Chorus concert, my date (thank you, dear boy!) commented about how fun it was to watch me sit on the edge of my chair in ecstasy as I listened to selection from Rachmaninoff's All-Night Vigil (Vespers)--one of my favorite pieces of music. I had forgotten that music could be so beautiful. I love the convenience of CDs and MP3s, but nothing can replace the sheer beauty of hearing a first-rate choir in a concert hall. The notes resonate differently--they fill the air--in a way that's hard to replicate without spending millions of dollars on sound equipment.

I got to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir last night. It always amazes me what a perfect blend they have--it seems as if there's only one singer--a single voice with a whole lot of power. And they are always so purely musical--as if they have no need to overdo anything, to embellish unnecessarily, no need to add the cheap gimmicks that so many choirs and soloists use to make up for lack of technique and simple beauty.

There are a few numbers that make me shudder with their beauty--Lux Aeterna by Morten Lauridsen, Handel's Messiah, Mozart and Brahm's Requiems...--pieces I want to listen to in a dark room with some quality headphones. I want to let the music course through me and take me away, enfold me in something beautiful. Especially during this Christmas season, I want to listen to the angels sing.

"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart" (Doc & Cov 25:12).

1 comment:

  1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ANkZJk6fC00

    watch pbs on december 19th :)

    ReplyDelete