Monday, August 18, 2008

The Luckiest Failure

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here.

These words accompany the opening strains of Ben Folds's "The Luckiest," one of my favorite love songs (mostly because I think it's so sincere). I've been thinking about them lately as I've realized how far I've come these past few years, and how far I still have to go. I don't get many things right the first time--and some things I get spectacularly wrong. But somehow the wrong turns and colossal failures have taught me important and beautiful lessons, and have prepared me to get a few things right, for a change. Which I fully intend to do. And if I hadn't failed, I wouldn't know how wonderful it feels to succeed.

That's right, you guessed it, I plan to be perfect from now on!
And, as the Yiddish proverb says, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this! You made my week by summing up the story of my life! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete