Friday, December 26, 2008

Reverence Invites Revelation

“The world grows increasingly noisy...This trend to more noise, more excitement, more contention, less restraint, less dignity, less formality is not coincidental nor innocent nor harmless.

“The first order issued by a commander mounting a military invasion is the jamming of the channels of communication of those he intends to conquer.

“Irreverence suits the purposes of the adversary by obstructing the delicate channels of revelation in both mind and spirit...

“...Reverence invites revelation.”

(Boyd K. Packer, in Conference Report, Oct. 1991, 27–28)



I've realized lately that I've been letting my communication lines get jammed. I've been feeling like the heavens are silent, but really, it's just that I've been being too noisy to hear its gentle invitations. It isn't that God hasn't been speaking, or that I haven't been wanting to hear Him, but that I've been letting other things get in the way. I've been making other priorities, and neglecting my relationship with my Creator.



In the words of Joseph Smith, "In making this confession, no one need suppose me guilty of any great or malignant sins. A disposition to commit such was never in my nature" (Joseph Smith-History 1:28). I guess it's just that I've felt the Spirit's presence so strongly and constantly in times past, and so the lessening of its influence concerns me so much. I am reminded of the words of President Kimball:



“I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns. I find myself loving more intensely those whom I must love with all my heart and mind and strength, and loving them more.” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 135).



I need the strength and closeness to God that comes from constant communion with His Spirit. I need the love for others that comes from reverence for God and His creations. I need time for quiet meditation and peaceful reflection. If I am to be able to hear the gentle whisperings of a loving God, I need to spend time away from the noise that fills the world, time with the One who made the world. I think there is a reason He said, simply, "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).





Photo from http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k286/markuswormstorm/

No comments:

Post a Comment