Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Bedrock of My Faith

This has been quite the year. A strange year, really--filled with hope and heartache, dreams fulfilled and dreams deferred, distressing questions and life-changing answers, hearty laughter and silent despair.

It's been a roller-coaster, really. I've learned a lot and loved a lot, developed a little more patience and a lot more understanding. And through it all, there's one thing I've held onto. It has been my anchor during the hard times and my banner during the good times. It is the thing I cannot dismiss. I cannot crawl over, under, or around it (Jeffrey R. Holland, “Safety for the Soul,” Ensign, Nov 2009, 88–90).

It is the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It is true. I have examined many arguments for its origin, and can find no credible explanation except the one Joseph Smith gave. It is of God.

The Book of Mormon testifies of truth in simplicity. It is a light in a dark world. It fulfills the most heartfelt wish of Christians--to know that Jesus Christ lives and ministers to His children. I know it is true. And that knowledge opens up a whole world of corollary knowledge. The Savior told us that "ye shall know them by their fruits," and this fruit is good. I know, therefore, that its translator was a true prophet of God, that the Church and Kingdom he set up is of God, and that the ordinances of the gospel are those of our loving creator.

There are many things of which I am unsure. There are many places where my faith is weaker than it should be. But this much I know: the Book of Mormon is true. It is the word of God and its translator is a prophet of God. There is a power in that book that is not in other books of scripture. Every time I read it, I am filled with the knowledge of its truthfulness. I know it in a way I can't explain. I can't reason my way out of it. Even when I'm upset, or confused, or shaking my fist at the heavens--even when I am struggling with a particular doctrine or a troubling issue, I cannot deny that the Book of Mormon is true. It is the word of God. There is a power in that book that flows into my life when I feast on its words, just as President Benson said. The power is real. It cuts into the chaos and gives me a glimpse of a wonderful peace. It has been my anchor in the blackest moments of my life. It has brought me to Christ, when He was all I had to hang onto. It is the bedrock of my faith, the keystone of my testimony of Christ. I thank God for that wonderful book, that beautiful testament of my Savior Jesus Christ.

To request your own copy of the Book of Mormon, you can visit mormon.org.
Picture from http://centerformoralliberalism.files.wordpress.com

1 comment:

  1. Amy- your writing is uplifting. I need to focus on these types of things more often. That is, if I could ever focus. . .

    ReplyDelete